If you’re a fan of cloud storage platforms (and I’m sure you are), you probably use Dropbox, or have at least heard of it. You can now store multiple files and folders, both online and offline. There comes a time when you have to get all stuffed and get rid of some files to free up storage space. That’s where Dropbox’s awesome feature called Smart Sync comes in. But what if one day you notice that the synchronization of Smart Drip is not working?
What is Dropbox Smart Sync and why should I care if it doesn’t work?
Dropbox Smart Sync lets you store files both online and on your hard drive. The best part is that your storage space is preserved, these files are always online in the cloud and you can access them with Windows File Explorer. That’s what I mean! Dropbox Smart Sync is a feature available to customers with a Plus, Professional, Standard, or Advanced subscription. So if you paid for it and it doesn’t work, it makes sense to do something about it.
Dropbox Smart Sync troubleshooting methods
We strongly recommend that you follow these steps in the order below.
Step 1: Deppbox whitelist in your security system or antivirus software
In the current scenario, a reliable antivirus software is essential for your Windows 10 PC. It not only protects you from viruses, but also from ransomware, malware and other types of threats. However, you may need to make a small adjustment if Dropbox’s smart sync isn’t working. You have to give him a whitelist. Assuming that you are using Windows Defender as your primary antivirus program, you only need to
- Press Windows key + I to open the settings.
- Type Firewall Firewall in the search field
- From the drop-down list Allow application or feature through Windows Firewall
- Now click the Allow another application button in the window that opens, at the bottom of the screen.
- Press and add another application.
- Press Browse to open the File Explorer.
- Go to the search bar and type C:Program Files (x86)Dropbox and press Enter.
- Double-click Dropbox.exe and open it.
- You can now see that Dropbox has been added in the Add Application dialog box. Press button Add
- You will now see Dropbox in the allowed applications and functions.
- Click the checkbox next to Dropbox , as well as Private and Public , which you’ll find in the same row as Dropbox.
- Press OK
Step 2: Close the application and reopen Dropbox
To fix the problem that syncing with Dropbox is not working, log out of your Dropbox account and log back in. The steps to do this are outlined below –
- Click the Dropbox icon in the notification area.
- Right-click on your profile icon above
- Then press Presets.
- Now click on tab Account
- Press Unlink this folder.
- And press OK.
- Now log back in to Dropbox.
Step 3: Quick restart
After trying steps 1 and 2, a quick reboot may be required for the above interface changes. So press the Windows key, the power button, and then the restart button. It’s that simple.
Step 4: Reinstalling Dropbox with Administrator Rights
To make Dropbox Smart Sync not work and fix some other issues, you may need to reinstall Dropbox with administrator rights.
- If you already have Dropbox installed, uninstall it. To do this, you can use the control panel or follow the steps described below: -.
- Press Windows + R to open the boot window.
- In the Run dialog box, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Find Dropbox, right click on it and delete
- After uninstalling, restart the computer.
This step ensures that there are no remnants of the old Dropbox on your desktop or laptop.
- Press Windows + E to open the file explorer
- In the address bar, type %LOCALAPPDATA% and press Enter.
- Delete Dropbox folder
- Now navigate to %APPDATA%, %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% and %PROGRAMFILES% and remove the Dropbox folders from these folders as well.
- Download the application again and open the installation program. Don’t forget to right-click Run as administrator.
- Follow the instructions of the installation wizard. Two things can happen.
- You will be asked for a password and a username, which you can get from your administrator. Take this and sign up.
- If you are not asked for a password or user name, you are an administrator.
- Completion of installation and registration
Step 5: Don’t forget to update your Windows 10 PC and get all the latest patches.
We’ve already created a detailed and comprehensive guide on how to check your Windows 10 desktop or laptop for the latest updates and security patches. Be sure to read the blog and update your Windows 10 PC. If you are using Windows 7, consider upgrading to Windows 10.
Have the above solutions worked for you
If so, give us a thumbs up in the comments below, and if you get stuck at any point, just send us a comment. For more information on troubleshooting all applications and features related to everyday technology, please visit the Systweak blog.
frequently asked questions
How to solve synchronization issues with Dropbox?
The best solution is to connect the Android device to the computer and move the files manually to circumvent file size or download speed issues. You can also solve some problems by clearing the cache.
How do I activate Dropbox Smart Sync?
sync-uploads ‘ smart-sync
Why isn’t Dropbox syncing with my computer?
If the files that are not synchronized are in a shared folder, there are two common reasons: Either you are no longer a member of that shared folder, or there is a different version of the file in that folder. If you missed the shared folder : Check the list of folders that can be returned to the Dropbox folder.
Feedback,dropbox smart sync option not showing up,dropbox smart sync not freeing up space,no smart sync option dropbox,dropbox selective sync not working,dropbox not syncing windows 10,dropbox smart sync no online only option,Privacy settings,How Search works,dropbox smart sync online only not working,dropbox smart sync still taking up space windows 10